Friday, November 5, 2010

Litter Moms !

I ask myself, is growth an indication of how well India is doing? I think we would be naive to think so. Why do I say that? I am not the only one who might be saying that, anyone who introspects will say that. We continue to be discourteous publically - have low thresholds of  sense of patience, forbearance, and sacrifice. We have a high degree of tolerance to inadequacies - litter on the street, dirt in the public bus, broken panes in a govt building, spit and sputum in building corners. Apathy from bureaucrats, corruption from politicians, and inefficiencies from private enterprise. We live happily with that without discomfort.

I was standing outside Crossroads mall near Haji Ali, Mumbai the other day when a very well to do mom, had her 10 year old son by his hand, while waiting for the car. The obese kid was sucking on a straw in a paper glass of something from MC Donald's. As the Benz arrived, she grabbed the paper cup and threw it onto the pavement. She wanted her car clean, but not the street. She is the one I cannot forgive, being educated, aware and expected to be responsible. She is a “Litter-Mom”. She symbolizes those educated people who don’t pay back to society with good conduct and good practice. And don’t pride in bringing up children who are law abiding citizens. I think charity must begin at home, where children are taught the meaning of the word - “patience, kindness, empathy, tolerance and respect”. How will they grow up to be worthy citizens, if they have a “Litter-Moms”?
I believe this is what causes rot in society when they grow up. For me the measure of success is more than growth.

In my years in Indian Retailing, I believe retailers have positively modified the behaviour of thousands of young boys and girls, who later go on have a family of their own, and I hope those service attitude good practices stick as a habit.
Retail stores intake youth at the age of 19 to 22 from a diverse set of backgrounds and teach them to be – hygienic, neat, courteous, punctual, systematic, team players, and teach them to take pride in what they do. I think I may have personally seen over 40,000 employees. But this is a constant endeavor that is lifelong effort. Most service industries inculcate this behaviour. I have seen this particularly in the hospitality industry.

I take courage that there may be more moms who are not litter moms, and India will in years to come build a society that is kind and orderly, and which believes that the “means is as important as the end”

If it is any consolation, to moms, I use the word Litter Mom, euphemistically (applies equally to the litter dads!) - so moms don’t get wild with me. 

4 comments:

  1. Musings on de-litter moms.

    Frikom, pronounced “freekohm” in Serbian, is a leading ice cream brand in Serbia.

    Frikom has vending kiosks stationed all across Belgrade at strategic commercial locations. The counters are usually manned (wo manned precisely) by City's senior citizens. During my visit to Belgrade last July I got terribly hooked to Frikom's Rum flavored ice stick. At practically all kiosks (100%) at diverse locations, the old ladies ensured removal of wrapper with their own hands and meticulously tucking the litter away in a handy dust bin placed nearby. That Belgrade has a public dust bin every 20 mtrs is a separate matter.

    No doubt the city is very beautiful thanks contribution, albeit small, by Frikom grandmas or shall I say de-litter moms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the high of fast growth and faster life styles , the elemental fundamentals of behavior are getting lost . I can see it only getting worse as the next gen interacts more with machines (read -computers) than people and litter Mums and Dads spend less time with their children ....
    Thanks for the insight into what we see everyday and let it pass .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true and what they do not realise is that such bad behaviour will come back to haunt them. I had written about similar insensitive attitudes a while ago and how that affects service levels. Pls have a look - http://v-rajesh.blogspot.com/2010/09/in-my-life-as-retailer-most-common.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anil. Good example given by you. We tend to hold the Govt responsible for the filth on the streets, but litter moms and dads are the cause,should learn from the Frikom example.
    Naresh. Agree. We as parents are through our kids are responsible for the kind of citizens this country has in the future.
    Rajesh. yes I saw your blog. Good.

    ReplyDelete